Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A few tidbits...

Hi all. A few minor changes you may have noticed...on the right side there's now an option to follow this blog by email, which I'm assuming means you'll get an email whenever I post something new. Also, I have a couple of links to some other blogs from cool people I've met online because of this cancer. Their blogs have tons of good information and resources for eye cancer patients, as well as just some interesting reading about people and the way they think about and deal with crappy things that sometimes happen to us. If you have some down time, I recommend taking a look at their blogs.

In my previous post I included an image that shows approximately what I see out of my left eye, compared to what my normal eye sees. After uploading the animated gif, however, I realized that for some reason, Google's blogspot doesn't support animated gifs. I ended up putting the image up here, in case you wanted to see the animated version. The flickering spot in the left side of my vision seems to be represented pretty accurately. I also tried to include one of the flashes of light that I get to see all the time. I'm going to have to admit that I'm not going to be winning any awards for computer animation in the near future (the animation of the flash of light is really hokey). These light flashes are sort of like snowflakes...no two are alike. The example I included will give you a general idea of how they appear to me. Sometimes they are different colors, sometimes they move faster or slower, and there are anywhere between 1 and 4 flashes I see simultaneously. I'm pretty sure that they only appear and travel throughout the dead part of my vision, which I find to be pretty interesting.

I've mentioned several times that if this type of cancer metastasizes, which it does about 50% of the time, it is universally fatal. No one has beat it yet. One of my online cancer friends, Sarah Elizabeth (the one who has the [Love x Infinity]^2 blog that I've linked to), is dealing with that realization right now. She gave an excellent interview to her local NPR station in Virginia (link here) that I recommend listening to if you have some time. The recording starts with some station announcements, so if you jump ahead a little bit, her interview starts at 2:10. Her interview is about 15 minutes long.

I hope everyone is doing well. More to come later...

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I haven't been by in awhile, but I'm now following you so I'll know when you update! My husband has scans on January 5th & cataract surgery the following week...fun times! {ha ha} I hope you have a wonderful Christmas (if I don't talk to you sooner)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Logged back on and finally listened to Sarah's interview. Sounds like an awesome girl...just dealing with the worst thing ever!

    Do you have any other updates on her recently?

    Everyone is constantly thinking and asking about you. Thank you for your blog brotha man!

    Love ya and talk to you guys soon,
    CHAD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting all that! I listened to Sarah's interview and it was interesting to hear what she had to say. I would like to think I could be that positive and calm when talking about dying, but who am I kidding. I would be a wreck!
    So, I tried opening your animation, and of course my computer wouldn't open it. Only YOU would be able to tell me why. For one of MANY reasons why you can NOT let your cancer get you, is who else in my life would help me with this damn computer!?

    I'm sorry that all this crap is even going on in your life! NO ONE, especially you, should even know what retinal cancer is! UGH....now I have to go. The lump in my throat is big.
    XO
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this article
    for more info please visit here:- https://www.drniteshbansal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey this is kind of of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding expertise so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I could have sworn I've been to this site before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it's new to me. Anyways, I'm definitely glad I found it and I'll be bookmarking and checking back often!

    ReplyDelete